Headliner Restoration

Tell us about the good & bad experiences you've had with suppliers, equipment, and/or services.

Headliner Restoration

Postby wentwilly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 am

Hello-Just finished the forward cabin reconditioning on Journey(42-155). We were ready to bite the bullet and replace the old moldy headliner material- it just would not clean up. A friend aboard sugested a product called Kilz-made for stain blocking on acoustic tile-wow-it worked very well. It was not fun, it took more time to mask off the areas of new paint- but it came out looking as new, and considering the expense and involvement of replacement- I would do it again-took a day and a half and thirty bucks!-Great stuff!-Willy
wentwilly

Postby JoMeKe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:59 am

Kilz is used often by painters and wallboard contractors to kill mold on wallboard and prepare if for painting. Most swear by it.
Ken Bowles
NW Explorations
Bellingham/Seattle, WA
JoMeKe
Supporting Member

Postby David Harnitchek » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Willy,
I've used kilz on my headliner too. It goes a lot faster if you brush or roll it on with a thick roller. You'll fill in some of the holes so have a tooth pick ready. The first time I sprayed it and it took forever to mask everything. I hope to have time this year to replace the headliner but the kilz paint is good for temporary fix.
Dave
42' Classic No. 387 "Daisy"
David Harnitchek
Supporting Member