Tell us about the good & bad experiences you've had with suppliers, equipment, and/or services.

Postby K Dowling » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 am

What is your experience with this service? I would like to get a medium range receiver and be able to tap in while anchored out nearby a BBX served marina. Anyone had any luck with this?

Has anyone use internet phones over this service? I pay for an occasional night in the marina if I could make calls for 'free'.
K Dowling
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:17 pm

We used BBX for many years and find it quite reliable and useful. We use Skype and it works well with a good signal.

We have an ethernet converter up under the flybridge dash connected to a 10 db external antenna and this is connected to the main computer via ethernet cable. We use an onboard WiFi network for the laptops.

We have picked up service, BBX and others, from as far as 5 miles offshore. I recommend it very highly. I do find their equipment quite expensive compared to other options.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby the Quietnorth » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:14 pm

I have the same set-up as Bob and agree that their equipment is $$$, it is good quality for the most part but you don't need to by from them.
Eric & Melinda
The Quiet North
GB 36CL #735
Birch Bay Village
the Quietnorth
Supporting Member

Postby Don Prior » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:11 am

I use BBX with fair service in many marinas in the PNW. It works well in Oak Harbor, most of the harbors in the San Juans and certainly in Sidney and Victoria.

I agree that their equipment is expensive. I use a new laptop with it's own wireless antenna as my BBX purchased external antenna will not work with the Vista operating system. BBX were very concerned when I switched to Vista but they could not get their card type antenna to be recognized by Vista. They eventually gave up ans said I would have to get a new driver from the manufacturer of the card.

I admit that was about 8 months back and I have not called back to see if they have solved the problem. I can't be their only client with Vista.

I like the concept and the coverage is good. Just watch out with Vista machines.

Fair winds.

GB 42-139
Oak Harbor, Wa currently in London
Don Prior
Supporting Member