Standard Horizon

Tell us about the good & bad experiences you've had with suppliers, equipment, and/or services.

Standard Horizon

Postby Stretch Head » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 pm

I have a Standard Horizon small stand alone depth sounder on the bridge that I mainly use when I anchor. It was on the boat when I bought it in 91 and it was old then. It always worked well and I never thought about it actually. Then this boating season came and it quit working. No problem, I say to my self, I'll get a new one.

Wrong!! They don't sell them any more. I looked at others but to make a change it means a haulout and routing the transducer line up to the bridge again. I just had a haulout, three in three weeks actually and another is out of the question. I decided to call them. They are located about 15 miles from me and I knew Don Thomas who founded the company, although he sold it and now it is the marine division of Vertex, so here I go.

The nice man asked me to send it in and I said i am close enough to bring it in. When they looked at that unit, and after the laughter, they said it was not fixable and junk. I said I knew that. I also said I looked for new replacements and nobody sold one that would fit my transducer and doing a haulout was out of the question. Then they talked among themselves and said they might have a solution. They came back in a few minutes and said they can replace it with a DS35 new for 49.00. I said "let's do it".

There was another couple there who had a huge digital display from a mulit use unit and they got that back fixed, no charge. They were telling me they only use Standard Horizon because of the outstanding customer service.

I am very happy with the service and have in my hand a new 259.00 unit that I bought for 49.00. How can you beat that?

I also think being here in LA is part of the equation and I have had fantastic success by going in to the companies with my problems. Face to face is always the best.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Keith Morris » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:43 pm

I called Stanfdard Horizon for a question and they are sending me a new power cord for the GPS for free. Good folks.
Keith
Keith Morris
Supporting Member

Postby Tagish » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:59 pm

I've always had great service from Standard Horizon. I appreciate their flat-rate repair program; used it twice on ancient equipment that they brought back to good working order. They have replaced various parts for other radios for free, most recently a RAM+ mic that failed but was just out of warranty they did for free anyway. I've always found them pleasant to deal with and great overall customer support.
Jon McGlone
Tagish
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:53 am

The man that started the company had a boat here in my marina and was the brother of the man that bought it a few years after they came here. He was a boater and a very nice man too. He tested his water makers here in the harbor and would run them continuously while sitting on the dock.

I am glad the new company has kept his outstanding customer service. I now plan to buy there VHF radio because my Raytheon just blew up and as you know, it's cheaper to buy new than fix now.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Tagish » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:13 am

If you go to the Vertex Standard website http://www.vertexstandard.com/ you will notice they also produce Yaesu amateur radio gear, long considered to be top-notch gear by most hams.

Motorola now has controlling interest in Vertex Standard http://www.reuters.com/article/mergersNews/idUST30762720071105 and for once a purchasing company has agreed to leave the existing one alone since they know what they are doing. I was worried when Motorola bought them but so far it doesn't appear to have made a change. For once someone figured out they shouldn't fix something if it isn't broken :)

I have the GX3500S as my primary VHF and the GX1255S as my secondary, both great radios, highly recommend either one.
Jon McGlone
Tagish
Supporting Member