Politician vs. Statesman

Exchanges of whatever comes to mind - not necessarily boat related

Politician vs. Statesman

Postby Chesapeake » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:31 pm

I was thinking the other day about an essay assignment I had for a high school civics class in 1968. It was to be along the lines of: "Compare and contrast the attributes of a Politician and a Statesman. Is one more suitable for executive leadership in a Constitutional Republic, and why?".

Johnson was president, and Nixon was about to be elected with a "return to law and order" as a major plank in his platform. He ran against Humphrey(D) and George Wallace(I). Vietnam was raging.

I was born in D.C. and grew up in northern Virginia. Our family, for generations on both sides had been strict Republicans and my dad knew Spiro Agnew, so voting for Nixon was a given. Then this assignment came along.

I don't remember a thing about what I wrote for the essay, but it did get me to pondering the original questions. So, I wanted to start a thread out of curiosity to see what some of us think about that. There is no intention to instigate anything regarding our current President or the recent election either way. It's more along the lines of something I'd wonder out loud with fellow boaters on the dock over frosty boat drinks. :)
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Chesapeake
Supporting Member

Postby rgbrooks » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 am

I am just a few years younger. My mom was the "Women for Nixon" county chairperson for the 1968 campaign. She appeared in the local paper with President and Pat Nixon. I remember how sad and disappointed she was when he resigned.
I was in high school civics class in 1973 during the "Watergate Hearings" it led to some lively discussions during current events.
rgbrooks
Supporting Member