Trump wins.

Exchanges of whatever comes to mind - not necessarily boat related

Postby Marin Faure » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:28 am

The only source I came across in a search tonight of "2016 Popular Vote" that claimed Trump won the popular vote was some outfit called WorldPress.com . Every other source gives numbers showing Clinton winning the popular vote by a not-insignificant number. Typical numbers as of tonight are Clinton 60,839,922 to Trump 60,265,858. Another set was Clinton 60,920,146 to Trump 60,347,043. They seem to be continuing to climb in that relative ratio. And we are nowhere near knowing the final outcome as according to all the reports I've seen there are huge numbers of absentee and mail-in ballots yet to be tallied.

Not that any of this will change anything. However I continue to believe that the circumstances that motivated the creation of the electoral system no longer exist today and it would be smart to eliminate it.

I would not characterize majority rule as "mob rule." After all, every other election in this country-- city, county, state--- is simple majority-wins so far as I know. It's certainly the case here in Washington State. And I don't hear or see anyone complaining or referring to this as "mob rule." I suppose it could be if one defines "the majority" as "a mob." :-)

So if a simple majority-wins system works fine at all other levels of government I see no reason it wouldn't work fine on a national scale.

Washington has even gone so far as to change its election system to "top two vote-getters win" in primaries for state offices. Party affiliation is irrelevant to the outcome. So in the general election you can have two candidates in the same party as the finalists for a position, which I we had this time around if I remember correctly.

I'm sure that if the election was going the other way with Hillary winning the electoral vote but Trump the popular vote, Trump supporters would be howling foul and demanding the electoral system is rigged and should be abolished. It's human nature for losers to blame "the system" (or something-- anything-- else) for their loss rather than themselves.

I don't feel that the electoral system should go because Hillary lost. Frankly I don't think it's going to make a lick of difference in course of history who won or lost. The bulk of the people who are bad off today are going to be just as bad off after four years regardless of this election, just as the bulk of the people who were bad off in 2012 are still bad off today despite the promises made by the winners in that election.

I believe Hillary's positions on a lot of issues are 100 percent dead wrong and I believe Trump is an ignorant, narcissistic, asshole of a human being. But if one pays attention to history this country has had presidents who were just as bad relative to their time as either of these two.

Now that the election is over I believe the person occupying the White House for the next four years will have exactly the same effect on my life as every other president we've had since I was born. Which is to say, absolutely zero.

The factors that determine who has shitty lives and who has great ones are incredibly complex and far beyond whoever happens to be sitting in the Oval Office. Four years is a gnat sneeze relative to the timeline of life on this planet. Too bad the people protesting the election in the streets don't understand this.

The election was four days ago and other than writing about it in subjective terms like this post, I don't even think about it any more. I've got far, far more interesting, productive and enjoyable things to do with my time, from using Bob Lowe's excellent advice as we maintain our Grand Banks, to working on my latest book, to taking a cool canal trip in England in a few months, than wasting even a second of it caring about the latest bozo to have "POTUS" on his business card.
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:49 am

I believe Trump is an ignorant, narcissistic, asshole of a human being.

:P :P :P i may just use that to dicribe some of our politicians

I've got far, far more interesting, productive and enjoyable things to do with my time, from using Bob Lowe's excellent advice as we maintain our Grand Banks, to working on my latest book, to taking a cool canal trip in England in a few months

Well said Marin, look forward to the British Spring cruising the canals.

Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Tom Overs wrote:Well said Marin, look forward to the British Spring cruising the canals.

I don't know what effect the changes happening with the climate are having, but we have found springtime in the UK to be absolutely stunning, Obviously it's not going to be readily apparent in the cities unless one goes to places like Kew Gardens. But in the countryside motoring along on a canal through the hills and fields and gardens in May is a sensory experience second to none in my travels thus far around this planet.

(I much prefer gazing at visuals like this over those of our current president-elect. :) )
Marin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Barry L » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:04 pm

We here in the deep South give Trump about 3 months into his term when he won't be able to keep himself from doing something not in the rule books. It will take the house and senate about 3 days to impeach him (he has no friends), and we will have a new president.
Barry
Barry and Debbie
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Barry L
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Barry L wrote:It will take the house and senate about 3 days to impeach him (he has no friends), and we will have a new president.
Barry

While that is certainly debatable it's not a statement I would be willing to bet against. :-)
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Stretch Head » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:37 am

This is a positive post :P
Capt Head
GB42-17 Classic Cockpit Model

My personal Banned List; All Polyester resins, Silicone, Bondo and sea sick crew.
Stretch Head
Supporting Member

Postby Tom H » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:19 am

You may have already heard that Trump already has most of the material to build the wall, thanks to all the folks that pooped a brick when they heard that the Donald had won the presidency.......!!!!!!!!

May your life be like toliet paper.......Long and useful !!
Best regards
Tom Hansen
1976 42' GBC #482
"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 am

Sounds like everyone here is anti-Trump, even before he takes office and does something.

Same as being against the people, for Hillary, and for One World government, isn't it? :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Tom H » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:27 am

Everyone?????????????/
I am hurt. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Best regards

Tom Hansen

1976 42' GBC #482

"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Postby bill.read » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:10 am

Against the people?...last count Clinton's popular vote exceeds Trump's by 1.7 million.....for Clinton?...not really....anti-Trump?...definite yes....One World government? someone needs to view information beyond alt-right media outlets...
bill.read
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I think that the additional votes for hillary included over 3,000,000 votes for her by illegals and even more by the dead.....

Oh, right, but the illegals are people, just not entitled to vote in the USA, same as the dead... And we don't know how many voted more than once...or more than 100 times...more than 1000? :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Sorry, Tom!

I know you are sane... :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:23 pm

We here in the deep South give Trump about 3 months into his term when he won't be able to keep himself from doing something not in the rule books.

Well, he will fall in line with the last POTUS we had for 8 years :roll:
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 pm

One World government? someone needs to view information beyond alt-right media outlets...

No need to look in alt-right media, Bill. MSM has plenty of quotes from just Obama & Kerry proclaiming a OWG/OWO to be their goal as well as actions relinquishing US sovereignty areas to the UN. Alt-left has lots of info on that. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:55 pm

For an explanation of where fake news comes from (like Hillary got 3 million illegal votes) here a look at the fake news "industry." Wish I'd thought of this; I'd be able to afford that new Fleming we've always wanted. :-)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/national/for-the-new-yellow-journalists-opportunity-comes-in-clicks-and-bucks/2016/11/20/d58d036c-adbf-11e6-8b45-f8e493f06fcd_story.html
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member