FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Postby Bob Lowe » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:57 am

That's a great idea! Do you have any such terms in mind?

Would you be willing to take the task on and create a document that could be upoladed? The list could be updated as necessary.

Again, we are still looking for more volunteers to gather the best posts and move them to the FAQ Forum. It's a great way to research a topic you are interested in learning more about while contributing to the FAQ Forum for all to use.

We have made it easy to do while researching a topic so it really isn't much additional effort to help complile the best posts on a topic.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

FAQs - Acronyms and Abbreviations

Postby kent0242 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:52 pm

Bob Lowe wrote:That's a great idea! Do you have any such terms in mind?

Would you be willing to take the task on and create a document that could be upoladed? The list could be updated as necessary.

---

Hi Bob!

I'm willing and able to assemble a list, update it and publish it from time to time.

Start sending the acronyms and I will compile a list .... same with abbreviations.

Best way to send me said items of interest is to my eMail address at: kent0242@aol.com Also, in the Subject line, start it GB or something similar so it will catch my attention and not be discarded to the Spam receptacle.

Kent
kent0242

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:21 am

What I intended is that you would gather the acronyms and abbreviations and put the list together. My platter is overfilled at this point. Here is some links to get things started. :)
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/gloss.htm
http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/gloss.htm
http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/gloss.htm
Your thoughts?
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby GB32-283 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:17 am

I think Bob is on to something... how about a listing of useful web links?

It's been a while since I've visited this site. I really like the new look and direction of this site. Many thanks for all your work.
GB32-283

Moderators needed for FAQ

Postby Patrick Malloy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Bob Lowe:

If you still need moderators, I would be more than happy to serve on the "varnishing/refinishing/painting" area since my busness, now run by my son, was the refinishing of classic boats for folks.

I'm sure you have lots of volunteers, but just let me know where you need help and I will do my best. I gather that the need is for the collection of existing forum and outside information, not necessarily the giving of opinion?
PATRICK MALLOY
"HERBIE" 42-277
SAN JUAN ISLAND, WA
Patrick Malloy
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:11 am

I think a list of interesting links is a good idea. We will have the webmaster create one with the ability for members to upload links the find interesting and ertinent to other GB Owners. The page of links will be accessible from the Home Page of GBO under Member Resources.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:14 am

Patrick, thank you for volunteering to gather the past posts relating to Varnishing, Painting and Refinishing. It is an area that needs to be pulled together and I'm sure you will do a great job of it!

I will send the instructions and procedures to you via email. Thanks again!
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

COLLECTING VARNISHING, PAINTING, AND REFINISHING POSTS

Postby Patrick Malloy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi, Bob:

I have not received your instructions regarding how to gather posts on these subjects. Will be glad to collect posts, but need to know how to do it.

Maybe you sent the data and I lost it.

Regards,
PATRICK MALLOY

"HERBIE" 42-277

SAN JUAN ISLAND, WA
Patrick Malloy
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 am

Patrick, I sent that info out to you shortly after you volunteered. It's probably in cyberspace somewhere. I'll resend it today so if you don't receive it, send me a PM. Thank you again for volunteering.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

FAQ's

Postby dlippert » Mon May 19, 2008 2:19 am

The list is almost endless.. Begs the question..What qualifies for FAQ?

After Marin's list, I would include Diesel Furnace, Auto-Pilot replacement, Solar Panels, Inverters, RE & RE of older GB rudder boards and Rudder boxes.

Slightly biased FAQ's as these are my current tasks..

To the Window Repair FAQ - Recommend replacement windows

Regards
Drew
@Westerly
GB 42 -556
dlippert

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 am

Certain Members have volunteered to go through the posts and add them to the FAQ section to make it easier to find pertinent information on various subjects. Which posts to select is a judgement decision. The main point is to condense information and make the best posts and information readily available without having to go through the search process.

I believe all the topics you suggested fit nicely into present categories and topics although perhaps another topic for rudders would be a good addition under steering. Thanks for the suggestion.

Did you mean to suggest that the glass be replaced or the whole window system?
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby jackthevendor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:52 am

One thing that should be changed, unless I haven't figured out how to do it, is the ability to highlight and copy a particularly good idea or comment without having to print out the entire string ie the suggestion by Peggy Hall on adding a freshwater bladder to the toilet. But in this case perhaps it would take away sales of her book. Good luck organizing this site- its a good one, but I do see the need to do it. Jack in Gig Harbor
jackthevendor
Supporting Member

Hello.

Postby FrankCalabrese » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:04 pm

This is my first post and it is wonderful to see so many dedicated and enthusiastic Grand Banks owners online. I achieved a lifelong dream late last year. I purchased my first boat, a 1969 Grand Banks Trawler Classic, 36'. So far, it has been a lot of fun and a lot of effort, as well. What I am trying to find out is, where do you get parts? I know that GB may sell certain parts but they may not have parts for older boats such as mine. Where can I find parts for an older GB and does anyone know of a person who is parting out their GB or has older parts available?

Please let me know. As a new boat owner, these are not issues I have had to deal with in the past.

Thank you for setting up and maintaining this board. What I have read, thus far, is very informative.
FrankCalabrese

Postby Richard Werner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:32 pm

Check the Classifieds section for finding parts.

If you have a Ford Lehman engine, American Diesel in Kilmarnock VA is the source for parts and information - 804-435-3107

http://www.americandieselcorp.com/

Generally if you ask a question in the repairs section about parts availability, someone will have an answer for you.

Enjoy.

Rich
GB32-277
Richard Werner
Supporting Member

Postby FrankCalabrese » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:17 am

Richard

Thank you for the response! As far as engine parts go, I have already sourced parts that I've needed from American Diesel. They are great people and very knowledgeable, too. I was thinking more in terms of railings, fixtures, etc. and to see if anyone knew of someone who was, perhaps, dismantling an old Grand Banks or had one in storage and was willing to part it out.

I am grateful that you took the time to help me out. I will check the classifieds.

Thanks, again.
FrankCalabrese