Aft Hatch Leaks

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Aft Hatch Leaks

Postby jguttman2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:32 pm

My 1978 42' GB Classic has a rear hatch that leaks when it rains. I am having trouble finding the leak and want to remove the sliding hatch roof to inspect the wood integrity. How do I remove the hatch entirely?
Thanks,
The Isabella
James Guttman
jguttman2

Re: Aft Hatch Leaks

Postby Tom H » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Had similar issue on my '76 GBCL. My hatch rides on two teak guides attached to the sides of the two large teak runners that the hatch sits on. Remove the screws from each guide and slide out. The hatch can now be lifted straight up.
Best regards
Tom Hansen
1976 42' GBC #482
"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:56 pm

This is one of my winter projects. All my efforts to seal this up did not work. So far I have pulled the trim boards and headliner to expose the area. It appears the water is coming in on the screws holding the slides to the cabin top. My next step is to pull the whole assembly which is screwed down to the cabin top. Cut out and replace the rotten wood. Rebed the sliders and button it all up.
Jastafford

Postby Jastafford » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 am

Pulled the frame off last weekend and cut out the rotten wood. Next step would be penetrating epoxy which needs a warm day so the rebuild portion may not happen until spring. I will get all the new repair components cut up and ready.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jastafford