GB 32 Boom Attachment - Which way is up?

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

GB 32 Boom Attachment - Which way is up?

Postby CowBay » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:36 pm

Took our GB 32 1967 boom apart for painting and when I went to put the collar back on at the end I realized that it may have been installed wrong when someone painted it years ago.

I can't find a picture anywhere on the web showing another 32 GB boom. Does the straight loop go with line up to the mast, or does the curved loop go up to the mast at a backward angle?

When I measure the hole spacing it looks like it could go either way, I had to hammer this off the boom as the fit is tight. I don't want to hammer it back on until I solve the mystery.

Can any 32 owners of the old woodies give me a hint, which way was up? I can rationalize both directions as I have been overthinking this for a few days!

Thanks , Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CowBay

Re: GB 32 Boom Attachment - Which way is up?

Postby bill.read » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 pm

Not certain if this will help, but the diagram shows the curve of the boom collar facing downward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bill.read
Supporting Member

Re: GB 32 Boom Attachment - Which way is up?

Postby CowBay » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks for that Bill, much appreciated

I had measured with a tape measure and the hole spacing seemed identical no matter which way up. But last night I wrapped a piece of paper around the boom and marked all the holes and then unwrapped it inside the collar and I found that there were subtle differences in the drill pattern. The collar (on my 32 at least, your mileage may vary!) has always been mounted such that the angled loop has faced down to the deck. I'll post a picture of the boom with it installed for the group as a reference.
CowBay