wheel coming appart

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

wheel coming appart

Postby dijksman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:30 am

Goodday everybody.
I have qeustion how to repair the hub spoke conection so not the hub to steering shaft connection.
The answer was already in this topic http://www.grandbanksowners.com/gbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4373&hilit=spokes+spoke+wheel and this one http://www.grandbanksowners.com/gbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16650&hilit=spokes+spoke+wheel
My question is : It looks like my hub is solid so no way to open it and adjust the wedges . It looks the same on both sides.
Meaby drill 1 mm holes at the spoke foot and fill the space with epoxy?
Any thoughts or a way to open the hub?
Thanks in advance Jos GB42 Europa hull 1088
dijksman
Supporting Member

Re: wheel coming appart

Postby dijksman » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 am

[attachment=0]image0.jpeg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dijksman
Supporting Member

Postby FrugalWife » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Wheels in my boat are the same. I have not done this (yet) but I suspect if you popped a bung out of the rim you'd find a bolt that could be tightened to take up the slack. Just guessing but I have the same wheel hub and the same problem. Let me know if you learn anything. And if I get the gumption to pop one of the bungs out I'll let you know what I find. My season is over the boat is on the hard for the winter waiting for me to decommission it, probably this week.
FrugalWife

Postby dijksman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 am

Hi FrugalWife Afther having a good close look to the hub my conclusion is it is a solid part . No plates to remove .
I tried to find some old construction images of these wheels but nothing. I remembered a pic from the old GB factory where a guy was installing the
spoes into the hub but could not find it anymore.
Hope somebody has a solution.
dijksman
Supporting Member

Postby FrugalWife » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 am

That was my conclusion also. So, when I was decommissioning I also removed the wheel from the bridge. Time to bring it home and perform a little bit of exploratory surgery on it to try to figure out the best way to tighten up the spokes. I'll pull one of the bungs in the rim and see what's under that. From a pure mechanical/practical standpoint, since there is no access via the solid hub then there must be some mechanical means to hold the wheel to the hub and since there are visible bungs at the end of each spoke there must be some type of connection under the bung. My bet is on a bronze rod threaded into the hub with a nut on the rim end. Fingers crossed ; <)
FrugalWife

Postby CowBay » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:04 pm

I think this may be the picture you were thinking of , it was in the old factory powerpoint on the web a few years back. Hopefully that helps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CowBay

Postby dijksman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:30 am

Hi CowBay Thats the picture i was looking for . Thank you . It shows what is inside the hub so it looks like it is not solid. The guy is placing the wedges in the hub to fix the spokes. I see a cap on the left on the picture.
I could not see a cap mounted on my wheel . Meaby the edge is corroded so not vissible. I will check that out. There must be a way to open it .
Thanks again.
dijksman
Supporting Member