Outboard on GB32?

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Outboard on GB32?

Postby Keijo Isomaa » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:44 am

I need to move my GB 32 about 115 miles. Engine is disabled. Thinking of putting a 40HP outboard on the swimgrid to do the job. 4 to 5 knots would do it. Has anyone done anything like this? Would be done in about 30 mile stages. (Hard to find a tow).
Keijo and Susan
"Haven"
1966 Grand Banks 32 #17
Keijo Isomaa

Re: Outboard on GB32?

Postby gsholz » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 am

It can be done. I'm aware of a 60+ footer that was moved > 1000 miles with three outboards on the swim platform.

I'd stiffen up the swim platform with temporary plywood sheets on top and bottom and look for a high torque/larger prop outboard. You may not need 40hp. Fuel bladder in the cockpit and you are good to go.
gsholz

Postby FrugalWife » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 am

This sounds like a sort of desperation move. Overland transport not possible? I wouldn't bolt a 40hp outboard to the swim platform on my boat. I would be too concerned with the torque of the outboard pulling the swim platform off its brackets, at the very least doing some serious damage to the swim platform itself. It might be conceivable to hip-tow it with a small boat but you'd never get 4-5 knots out of it. If I were to be considering something like this & a tow company weren't available I'd be looking for a commercial fisherman that would like to earn a few bucks with his/her boat.
FrugalWife

Postby kildarian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:59 am

Keijo, talk to Gary Lemarchant 250-537-6280 - based on Salt Spring Island. He recently helped me out with a hip-tow from Thetis to Maple Bay. Guess he motored at about 12 knts. Wasn't cheap $500 for 12nm but the only one willing to help ! My insurance covers emergency towing up to a max of $2,500. Not too sure of the definition of "emergency" in your situation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kildarian

Postby Keijo Isomaa » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 am

We got a 50 mile tow from Port Neville (11 hrs) to Campbell River that cost $3400. We've got about 115 miles to get home. I could trailer it for $2000 - $3000+. I could get another tow for $5000? or more. Or, I could buy a good used 25-40 hp outboard for about $2000 to get the boat home then sell it (the outboard, not the boat). The Dagenham engine is going to come out and a Cummins engine will be installed. I want the boat in its boathouse for that work. I've got lots of time but I don't want to throw away money needlessly (that's what the boat is for).
Keijo and Susan

"Haven"

1966 Grand Banks 32 #17
Keijo Isomaa

Postby gsholz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:10 am

[attachment=0]MercTrioYachtSplash.jpg[/attachment]

Here is a picture of the 65' boat that used three outboards to get home. He ran aground and wanted to get home for the repairs. Since your rudder still works you would just lock the outboard in place except maybe for close quarter maneuvering. You would not need as big a tank in the cockpit as he has :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsholz