Crazy Question

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Crazy Question

Postby Berger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi All I was curious to see if anybody out there has converted a GB to electric propulsion? I seems to me that anyone that needed new tanks and a rebuild,(not me) would consider replacing the tanks with batteries and the diesels with motors. Is the technology there or do we have to wait?
Berger
Supporting Member

Re: Crazy Question

Postby Cruising » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:56 pm

I too have thought about this. I believe the technology is there and is being marketed right now. It would seem that the GB would be the perfect boat to install an electric drive. Lithium batteries could certainly take up a good portion of fuel tank space. I dare say the battery weight might be less that the fuel weight. Certainly the electric motor(s) would be smaller.
Cruising

Postby rick s. » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 pm

there is a thread on youtube (I believe) of an electric conversion on a Tollycraft. In this application the boat didn't have much range, which is a battery capacity issue. Putting a crap load of batteries on the boat would improve the range, but then you need to be able to charge the batteries. I think the load on a boat motor is hugely different to that of a car. In a car, you can coast. Can't do that in a boat...
rick s.

Postby Batistick » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:35 pm

I believe this was attempted a few years ago on a GB42, someplace in Florida. I recollect that after some articles on the subject there was no more discussion. A year later I saw a listing for sale for a GB42 with NO engines.
Batistick
Supporting Member