copper tube

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

copper tube

Postby Jastafford » Thu May 02, 2019 11:12 am

On the port side of my 1972 42 classic there is a small 1/4 or 3/8 copper tube coming out of the side of the cabin, aft end about window/buffet height. No evidence of it on the inside. I pulled it out with a pair of pliers as it was in my way. It should have gone all the way thru as it was about an inch long but not sure where to. Any idea what this would have been for? There is not a mating one on the starboard side.
Jastafford

Re: copper tube

Postby GB42-267 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:32 pm

That's most likely a drain tube from your window channel.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 pm

I will check that out tonight. May explain the rot under that back window. I assumed it came from water pooling in the pocket created by that side wing and not draining off. That window does not open to I didn't think about it having any kind of drain.
Jastafford

Postby Chesapeake » Fri May 03, 2019 7:40 am

The fixed window drains are for interior condensation. Look between the lower teak trim and the glass, all the way aft in the channel. The hole is probably plugged with stuff so you can't see it easily. Try running a small screwdriver through from the outside. If the tube came out easily, then water has been seeping around the outside of it and messing with the plywood.
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Chesapeake
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 am

OK, so I gave it a quick look and it seemed way to far away from the rear fixed window. Then I wondered about the inside slot for the side windows as it appeared to line up pretty good for that but thought that was just dumb! The drain for the side windows is the weep hole in the outside groove where it slides. So tonight I will check again in regards to the inside slot for inside condensation. Should there be one on both sides, port and starboard? My windows have for sure had some kind of moisture issues on the inside.
Jastafford

Postby Jastafford » Fri May 03, 2019 8:30 pm

Ok,yes, looks like the tube is for inside condensation drain and it is starboard and port. So the channel for the side Windows and the channel for the back window are one above the other. And then hook up to this tune that comes out the side? How is that routing done? Does one track drain to the other? Should the tube i pulled out to directly to the lower channel or did it hook up to some othervfitting?
Jastafford