How long do your zincs last?

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

How long do your zincs last?

Postby Berger » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi All I was wondering how long your zincs last. I replaced mine, two per shaft and two for the hull 10 months ago and they are pretty much toast. Is that normal? The boat lives 5 months in brackash water and 7 in salt. All are aluminum.
Berger
Supporting Member

Re: How long do your zincs last?

Postby 2Bucks » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:00 pm

Mine are about half eaten in 12 months. BUT, you asked a very, very individual question. Each boat and each slip in your marina may "use" zincs at a different rate. While I've been careful to keep my bonding wires intact and clean and attempted to keep all stray electricity away, I found that when I installed an isolation transformer my zinc use was cut in half. I used to use up a prop zinc, most of a license plate and two sanddollars each year. I had leaks somewhere. I found the reverse polarity lamp leak and one green cable in my search.

Determining zinc use, finding electrical leaks, and fixing them can keep one busy all winter.
2Bucks
Supporting Member

Postby Charlie0 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:37 am

All good information from 2bucks. I may add that a neighbor in a marina may have dc voltage leaking that could very easily effect your zincs. Your zinc usage is not unacceptable in my opinion. As apart of normal maintenance make sure that you don’t have any wires hanging in bilge water. If gets a lot worse you might want to ask your neighbors if they are having issues. I was in the same slip for many years. My zinc usage would change when my neighbors changed.
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby denogail » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:11 am

berger...your last sentence says " All are aluminum." What did you mean by that? Zincs are made of zinc...

Anyways, question, do you store your boat for extended periods of time in the water with your shore power still hooked up and nobody on board...? I have to store for 6 months up the river in Lauderdale. Water is also brackish. I have learned not to leave the shore power...50 amp service plugged in while in storage. To many other boats around that DO NOT pay attention to there grounding needs..cannot be trusted. I disconnect the power cord, put it away, and run a dedicated extension cord into the boat through the anchor line hauser hole, to keep two fans running inside to move the air. This reduced my zinc usage, to a point where I get a full year out of them, perhaps a little more. Again, just my two cents worth... Leaving an untended boat with shore power hooked up, in my mind is just crazy....buy a solar panel to keep your batteries up...

DenO
denogail

Postby Berger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:27 am

I should have said anodes! My anodes are all aluminum not zinc. Yes she is hooked to shore power but monitored every couple of days. What is the best way to check for leaks?
Berger
Supporting Member

Postby Charlie0 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:12 am

An ABYC certified electrician will have the equipment and be able to tell if you are properly bonded and if you have leakage....... If you are concerned.
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0