Window Frame repair/replacement

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Window Frame repair/replacement

Postby CrabGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:22 pm

I've been out of commission for awhile, seems health and life in general keep getting in the way of just having fun!

Time for topsides & house paint, I knew I had a couple of soft areas, but had no idea the last house paint had held togather and let the window frames under it go to mush!

I have tried in my small workshop to replicate the original frames, but seem to only end up with a pile of teak sawdust, as my routed edges aren't a match.

Are there replacement frames available?
Anyone with a proper workshop need (ha ha) another project?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrabGuy
Supporting Member

Re: Window Frame repair/replacement

Postby AllanKay » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:39 pm

I know there are full metal frames you can buy but it isn't inexpensive. A search online will turn them up. Can't offer help, however, as have my own nightmares to deal with.
AllanKay
Supporting Member

Re: Window Frame repair/replacement

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 pm

Teak makes pretty expensive sawdust!

OEM window frames were typically Philippine mahogany and I always used Honduras mahogany because Philippine mahogany isn't readily available in the US. They are comparable. In the US, what they call Philippine mahogany is typically Lauan and is a junk wood. They only used teak for that application on a minority of the boats.

For making one frame, you might try sanding the round edges in.

The pieces are joined using a half-lap/half miter joint. This is important as a plain miter joint will open up and cause problems like leaking and finish.

Just take your time and before you know it, you will have a new window frame which you can then slap on your fne vessel bedded with Dolphinite or equal. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member