Refrigerator Removal tips/ help

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Refrigerator Removal tips/ help

Postby Cruising » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 pm

I am interested in replacing the Norcold refrigerator in our 2003 42 EU and install a Isotherm DRAWER 160 INOX LIGHT - DRAWER refrigerator. For the life of me I can’t figure out how to remove the unit. It would appear the wood surround needs to be removed. There are apparently three screws on the left side of the wood framing that is in front of the refrigerator. (see photo) and none on the right side. This would suggest the right side is pinned somehow and the surround can be rotated to be removed. Is my understanding correct? Am I missing something?
I would be grateful to hear from other EU owners would have removed this refrigerator to gain some insight.
Attached are photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruising

Re: Refrigerator Removal tips/ help

Postby Joker » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:10 am

It could be a different arrangement on your boat, but on my 1990 42 EU, the refrigerator and the teak frame are screwed together before installation into the cabinet. Sow when I did this a few years ago I removed all screws from the teak frame. Then I removed the teak trim that covers the slot between the frame and the cabinet.
When that was done it was just to pull out the whole arrangement, which was sitting on a skid inside the cabinet. When out, I got accesses to the screws that secured the frame to the refrigerator.

The teak trim was a bit tricky to get off, because it was partly glued, so it had to be prayed off very carefully to avoid any damage to it.

Good luck !

Magnar L
Joker
Supporting Member

Postby Cruising » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you very much for your response. Do you recall if there were screws on both sides of the frame or just the left side?
Cruising

Postby Joker » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:36 pm

I just checked, and there were screws on both sides.

Magnar L
Joker
Supporting Member

Postby Cruising » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Thank you..
Hmmm. This is a puzzlement.
Cruising

Postby Cruising » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Joker- you are correct. Found them!
There were four bungs partially behind the trim
Posting more photos for reference.
I’ll be fabricating track from faces to the drawers. Finish and style to match the interior.
Cruising

Postby Cruising » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Removal of refrigerator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruising

Postby Joker » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:04 am

Looks like a nice unit you are putting in. Any issues installing it into the cabinet ?

Magnar L
Joker
Supporting Member

Postby AndyH » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm considering buying this same unit... would you recommend it if you had it to do over? It's either this one or the Vitifrigo but I haven't found much of a dealer network for those here in the US. And it looks like you got the flush version rather than the "proud" mount, correct?
AndyH

Postby Cruising » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Getting close to finishing the project. Installing Isotherm freezer 55 in cabinet under the bar and replacing refrigerator with Isotherm 160. Attached are some prelim photos. I’ll post finished pics next month.
The freezer took a little doing. It’s impossible to remove the bar/cabinet as it’s not only screwed in place but glued. We elected to cut the left inside portion of cabinet and carefully widen the opening. The Isotherm 160 fits well in place of our older refrigerator.
The front teak wood panels were custom made. Just a little trimming out is required.
Cruising

Postby denogail » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:01 am

when I removed my holding plate system from the freezer and refrig, and rebuilt the boxes with more foam, I found a little guy from Singapore with a screw driver still in hand....LOL....yes, they did hide the screws from the inside...I think alot of this stuff was built on a bench, for one boat after another, then carried to the boat and installed before the roof went on...

Off subject, but when I had to remove one of three water tanks from the lazzeret, I found a label stating that the tanks were made in Hialeah, florida. Did they put the tanks in here, or were the tanks shipped to Singapore?

DenO
denogail

Postby Cruising » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Completed Project!
Cruising

Postby FrugalWife » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am

Oh man, that looks really sweet! Nice job, definitely an upgrade. Only problem is that now I have to think about doing the same fridge replacement.
FrugalWife

Postby Cruising » Thu May 02, 2019 9:12 pm

Thank you! We’ll be spending 6 weeks aboard this. Summer and desperately needed a better refrigerator/ freezer set up.
Cruising