dinghy mounted on swim step davits - safe system?

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

dinghy mounted on swim step davits - safe system?

Postby parobellum » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 pm

New to me GB36 and I am looking for a larger dinghy, ideally 10-11 inflatable. Is it OK to mount, e.g., weaver or seawise manual davits on the swimstep? It certainly supports my 230 lbs.

Say an air floor 11'6" zodiac (93lbs) and a 15hp motor (e.g. honda rope start) at 103 lbs

Thanks
parobellum

Postby Tom Overs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:00 am

My swim platform holds my fairly substantial weight with no problems. A well secured dingy that your thinking of should be no problem at all.

Tom.

PS Little Ship is a 32.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Greenhaus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:25 pm

The dinghy won't be a problem but how do you plan to store the 15hp outboard? Why did the previous owner do? Why not store the dinghy on the aft cabin house as many/most do? The ability to carry one's boat aboard is a great luxury on a 36 foot boat.

Also, do you have the standard, rather narrow swim platform or the optional extended platform?
Bob Greenhaus
Bob Greenhaus
Supporting Member

Postby Onesockbob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:48 pm

We have the Weaver Swing Bracket and keep the outboard mounted on that and cover it when not in use.
Onesockbob

Postby denogail » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 am

This is what I did for the dingy on Gadabaut. Swinging davit, I call it. When underway, I strap dingy to railings, with stainless steel racheting trucker straps..has worked very good for 11 years now. One person raise and lower. I do have an electric winch on the mast to assist. The only limit is that the dingy in question must be shorter then the width of the lifting arms...

The photos do not show the 15 hp on the dingy...but it does stay on for transport and lowering and raising...
DenO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denogail

Postby Bob Greenhaus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

denogail, any reason not to have mounted your swing davit to the swim platform to avoid drilling into the transom?
Bob Greenhaus
Bob Greenhaus
Supporting Member

Postby denogail » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:14 am

I felt that the weight distribution would be better on the transom. I do not believe the swim platform is strong enough. Yes, the arms could be made longer to get the dingy up to the same height, if mounted on the platform. To tell the truth, I never really considered the swim platform. My dingy is heavy, with the fuel tank and 15hp and other items. I also put an aluminum backing plate inside the transom. There was an open space outboard the water tanks on both sides for me to get in there, for the thru bolts and the backing plate.

Further more, if you stand on your swim platform and gently jump up and down, you will notice that your platform does give a little. Not meaning it is loose, but it will vibrate to your jumping. I personally would not trust it...mounted there.

You have to also consider, the fact that you might forget to pull the drain plug in the dingy, and wake up one morning, and see several gallons of water in it....which is alot of weight. Yes, I did this...only once.

DenO

By the way, Bob Greenhaus, Gadabaut is officially for sale. My 50 year boat career is over. It is time for me to learn to snow ski and do something else. Are you really shopping for another GB?
denogail

Postby Marin Faure » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 pm

We have a 9' Livingston on Weaver davits on the original swimstep of our 1973 GB36. No problems over the last 19 years. The 4hp motor is mouted using a swivel mount. However we would not mount any heavier dingy/motor combination on this swimstep. As it is we use a short Dacron line (no stretch) between the transom of the dinghy and a stern cleat to minimize the "bounce" of the dinghy. We launch and retrieve the dinghy using the boom, double sheave blocks, and a 100' boom fall. AKA a poor man's seawise davit. :-)
Marin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Greenhaus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:20 pm

denogail,

I was thinking the hinge/attachment for your system would meet the platform inboard, where the platform is strongest and the system would have less leverage.

Yes, I'm really very actively looking but I have specific ideas about what I'm looking for and I've been having some bad luck. I'm looking for another '36, either a CL or EU but late production (mid-90's or newer), with twins, ideally twin Cummins.
Bob Greenhaus
Bob Greenhaus
Supporting Member