Autopilot choice

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Autopilot choice

Postby Tom H » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I am considering replacing my two station Benmar Course Setter 21 autopilot. So far I am investigating a Raymarine EV-400 and a Garmin GHP Reactor, keeping the Benmar chain drive motor with either autopilot. Looking at list prices I am seeing about a $600 price difference with Raymarine being the more expensive system. Would like to hear about your experience, issues, features, advice, etc., with respect to either system.
Best regards
Tom Hansen
1976 42' GBC #482
"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Postby shanti » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

I installed the garmin reactor this year and LOVE IT. It's night and day better than the simrad ap 22 I replaced it with. The integration with the garmin chart plotters make the set up and operation super simple. The installation was a full day project with running the cable for the rudder sensor, mounting the different pieces and plumbing in the hydraulics.
shanti
Supporting Member

Postby Tom H » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I am leaning toward the Garmin. I plan on keeping my chain drive motor and Garmin has a cable designed specifically to interface with non-Garmin equipment. I have searched the Garmin web site for installation instructions for the rudder feedback sensor but was unsuccessful. Were there any problem installing the rudder feedback sensor? Would love to see a picture of a rudder sensor installation.
Best regards

Tom Hansen

1976 42' GBC #482

"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Postby shanti » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:41 pm

It's called a gfr10. It was harder to get the cable run to it than to install it.
shanti
Supporting Member

Postby Tom H » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks, found it.
Best regards

Tom Hansen

1976 42' GBC #482

"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member

Re: Autopilot choice

Postby pmorris » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:52 am

I replaced my old unit from my 1977 GB 42 Classic with a Raymarine EV-400 and replaced the drive unit at the same time. I've been very pleased and just finished 1500 miles down the California Coast to PV in Mexico. Haven't had a single problem. In some rough seas going down Baja it did have about a ten degree wag when going down swell. I'm a happy customer though

Peter Morris
1977 GB 42 "iron Genny"
pmorris

Postby Tom Overs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 am

I have the Raymarine X10 course computer and the St70 programmer. Not what you asked about but, I'm extremely pleased with the Raymarine performance and ease of use.

The only point that I really wanted to say was I have a linier drive in the Lazerette, the reason being if a cable was to fail on the steering I would still be able to drive from inside using the Auto helm rather than standing in the rain with the emergency tiller. Just a point to think about before utilising the rotary motor under the helm position.

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member