Where are my Zincs?

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Where are my Zincs?

Postby dsherburn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:42 pm

I have a 1976 GB32. back in the seventies GB made a version with a 4 cyl. Lehman. At some point in the late 80's, the Lehman was replaced with a 4 cyl. 80 hp Lister Petter (which is based on the same Ford block as the Lehman). It has a closed loop cooling system. I want to change my zincs. I can't find any documentation that shows where they might be. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
dsherburn
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:40 pm

May not be relevant to your engine but on the FL120 the only zinc on the engine is a pencil zinc inserted in the engine coolant heat exchanger on the rear of the engine. Some versions of the small oil and transmission fluid heat exchangers used pencil zincs, others do not. Our cupro-nickel exchangers do not have zincs so when I installed them I connected them electrically to the engine block.
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby GB42-267 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:16 pm

You may not have any, but if there are, they will be on the raw water side. Just follow the cooling system from the raw water pump and back to the exhaust discharge and look for something that looks like a brass plug (it may be painted over). It will be located in either the FW cooler, LO cooler or your transmission cooler. Once you find one, unscrew it and it may and may not have a threaded center for a pencil zinc. If it's just a brass plug without a threaded center, you can replace it with the same size plug with a pencil zinc. Just make sure to measure the depth and cut the zinc off with a hack saw if needed to prevent it from bottoming out.
You will not find any zinc anodes in the engine block since they are intended to protect the raw water side of the system where corrosion will take place.

Happy hunting
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby dsherburn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks guys...I'll look on the heat exchanger. Planning to do the Loop this August from Michigan and am trying to do all the PM I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dsherburn
Supporting Member

Postby kildarian » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:06 pm

1968 with Lehman. If memory/records serves me right there are three zincs between Heat Exchange Unit & Transmission cooler. E-00, E-O, E-1. Removed Oil cooler and had it cleaned and pressure tested. Replaced gaskets. Relatively inexpensive using an auto-rad facility.
kildarian