External thermometers for refrig & freezer?

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

External thermometers for refrig & freezer?

Postby Fboykin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:52 pm

I just purchased a 2000 GB 42 Classic and both external, door mounted thermometers for the refrig & separate freezer are no good. They are marked Made in England, but there is no brand name on the face plates. Anyone happen to know of a source for these thermometers? Thanks!
Fboykin

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 pm

Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby shanti » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Funny you posted this as I was just going to ask about the thermometers... My old Grand Banks had them on the fridges and my new ones doent. I want to add them to the doors but I can't remember how they were mounted in the door and how/where the sensor was installed. would you mind sharing the installation?
shanti
Supporting Member

Postby Arch » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:44 am

Suggest you use wireless thermometers, they work great and are accurate.
https://www.acurite.com/media/manuals/0 ... ctions.pdf
I have used these units for both refrigeration, freezer and engine room monitoring. Cost is under $40 with one monitor and two sensors. They also have alarms and measure temps from -40 to 100F. It is important to use Lithium batteries for the freezer sensor. It does require pairing which takes a little patience to get it right if you have two monitors.
Arch

Postby Fboykin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks for the tips. The refrigerator parts place has lots of possible replacements. I need to pull and measure the ones on the boat to see what I might be able to match. Will be weeks before I can get back down to the boat. I like the remote unit option too. Already had that exact unit saved on my Amazon wish list! But would be nice to have working thermometers on the doors. I hate looking at busted gauges. Hope someone has been down this road before me and knows of an exact match.
Fboykin