Aluminum water tank cleaning

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Aluminum water tank cleaning

Postby Bill Matthews » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:44 pm

I have a 42EU with aluminum water tanks that have oxidized and corroded. Has anyone found a REAL answer to cleaning the oxidation nodules that form. I tried muriatic acid and that worked but the oxidation came back. Is there a chemical that could be added periodically to stop the oxidation process.

Thanks

Bill
Bill Matthews

Postby Arch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 am

Search this site for "microseal". There are many articles on this product which will seal the aluminum once it is clean. Don't use muriatic acid which is way too strong for aluminum. Commercial cider would be better. Due to the baffles it is difficult to get all the inside surface clean and coated with Microseal. A small long handled roller works best. The inside must be completely dry so use a forced air blower over several days.
Arch

Postby roger and anne howell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:50 am

Hi,
We have found installing magnesium anodes (purchased from McMaster Carr) cuts the oxidation and pitting down considerably. Replacement required every other year. On our '88 GB36 I don't know how you could ever coat the inside of the tanks without cutting big holes in the baffles due to access problems. We also empty and vacuum out the tanks every year to remove the crud.
Good luck
Roger
roger and anne howell