Aft Scuttle Hatch on Classic Movement Restriction

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Aft Scuttle Hatch on Classic Movement Restriction

Postby paulcardenas » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Fellow Floaters-

I have recently found that the sliding top/cover of the aft scuttle hatch on my 42 Classic has ceased to slide completely aft. It appears to be getting hung up on something that is preventing its last 1-2 inches of travel (so it covers the upper edges of the butterfly doors). Has anyone out there experienced this? And if so, what was the culprit and what is the easiest procedure to remove the sliding hatch cover to make the repair?
All suggestions greatly appreciated....

Many Thanks
Capt. Paul
...The standing toast that pleased the most,
was a wind that blows, a ship that goes,
and a lass who loved a sailor
paulcardenas

Postby roger and anne howell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi,
On our '88 GB36 the same thing happens. I lift up the hatch as it slides over the doors and it works. I suspect the guides that slide in the metal piece in the hatch runners are worn. On our boat there are 3 screws in each side of the hatch. Remove the screws, slide the hatch forward, and the guides slide aft. Remove them, and the hatch can be removed by sliding it forward and lifting the aft end over the hatch frame. If the slot on the guides is worn down, they could be repaired by gluing a wooden strip in the slot and running the guide through a table saw cutting a new slot in the proper location.
Good luck.
Roger
roger and anne howell