Water Behind Upper Eyebrow Trim

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Water Behind Upper Eyebrow Trim

Postby Orin Guidry » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:19 pm

1989 GB 36. Could not keep varnish on upper trim which covers joint between cabin and flybridge. Planned to remove and replace with new teak that has been epoxyed then varnished.

Pulled the bungs and screws holding on the trim and water flowed out of most screw holes on both sides. Much too much water for it to have been between the trim and fiberglass. Has to be coming out the flybridge but there is never anywhere that I can see that is wet except behind the eyebrow.

Where is this water coming from? We are assuming that it is from joints under the flybridge seats and plan to recaulk every joint we see. Any other thoughts?
Orin Guidry
Supporting Member

Postby Sleepah » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:35 pm

My boat is some 16 years older than yours so things may have changed. But my boat has an inside gutter along the perimeter of the flybridge. Take a look inside.
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member

Postby bill.read » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:59 pm

My boat fly bridge drains were blocked with mud dauber nests when I purchased it. Multiple nests were causing blockage and mold inside the upper console. I removed the fly bridge to facilitate the transport from east coast to west coast and some of the screws holes had a small amount of water seeping from them.
bill.read
Supporting Member

Postby Orin Guidry » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Followup:

Removed the upper eyebrow. Clearly it had been wet and some of it had black, foul smelling material in the caulk (I assume mold).

Then hosed water in the compartments under the flybridge seats. Water instantly poured out of many of the screw holes that had been holding the trim.

We then caulked all likely spots on the flybridge where water could be entering. Will check again before installing the new trim.
Orin Guidry
Supporting Member