GB Side windows Repainting deck and house by roling and tip

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

GB Side windows Repainting deck and house by roling and tip

Postby Sleepah » Thu May 28, 2015 11:18 am

I have removed all the mahogany trim from my 2 starboard side main cabin windows aft of the pass door. I did this because there is a lot of dry rot and it seemed too much to fill with CPER and epoxy filler. Some past owner has been here before me as evidenced by the presence of SS tracks on the forward window and plastic tracks aft. The trim surrounds were attached with OVAL head bunged fasteners with both slotted and Phillip's heads. Certainly not OEM. My boat is a very early FG boat.

1. I need to make new window frames and have located some mahogany that is 1 1/16" thick dressed. It seems ideal. Has anyone used Starboard or is there some other magic material to recommend?

2. The glass seems to be 2 sheets laminated together and is coming apart at the exposed edge. If I elect to replace it should I spec tempered or laminatedglass......lexan? I live in sunny Florida. Is there a tint spec that you might recommend?

My window trim rot problem seems to have been caused by having the entire house (and window frames) painted with AwlGrip with out any caulking at the junction between wood and fiberglass. The natural movement of the wood caused cracks which allowed water to enter and rot the wood unseen. I discovered an egg shell corner of paint with no wood behind it. I have been told by Interlux that their 2 part paint should not be used over wood for this reason. It is much harder than one part BriteSide they say.

I am also repainting the entire house, fly bridge and deck. My boat is 42 years old (GB42 #360) and the gelcoat failed some time ago and has the appearance of alligator skin with spaces (wide shallow cracks) between pencil eraser sized islands of intact gelcoat. The previous owner sprayed a heavy coat of AwlGrip over this and even painted out some of the teak trim which cracked and lifted.

Interlux has suggested that I lay on 3 coats of PreKote which is a heavily filled primer sanding with 220 in between and 320 on the third coat. Then 2-3 coats of BriteSide rolled and tipped. I have done own side of the flybridge at this point with the 3 coats of primer and it looks pretty good. Remember that my boat is 42 years old. Ten years ago I painted my 1973 Cape Dory 10' dingy with this method and only one PreKote and she still looks good.

Any advice here?
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Fri May 29, 2015 6:02 am

Any advice here

Remember that whilst painting and fairing that regular stops for a beer or whatever is your preferance is essential for the final appearance. :P

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby gsanchez » Fri May 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Five years ago I had similar work done on my 1979 GB42.

The house was painted with International's (Interlux) Perfection 2-part polyurethane. The hull did not need painting and was simply polished. The improvement was dramatic.

I replaced the windows that had exposed edges as these were deteriorated. I used laminated glass. I believe they made a great improvement aesthetically.

I replaced the window frames with teak and varnished them. Winter window covers keeps the varnish in great condition compared to the exposed trim. As such, there has been no cracking of the two-part polymer paint used on the rest of the house.

I have to say I had this work professionally done as I did not have the time or skills to do it myself.

My only regret is not rebedding the rest of the varnished teak trim.
Gilberto
1973 GB50
gsanchez
Supporting Member

Postby Marin Faure » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:35 pm

It is not advisable to use tempered glass for the windows on a boat like a GB. Tempered glass shatters and falls out of the frame when hit hard enough to break. Laminated glass, while not quite as strong as tempered glass, cracks when hit but the pieces stay in the frame and you can tape up the cracks for a temporary fix. Better a cracked piece of glass in a frame than a hole in the side of the cabin. :)
Marin
Marin Faure
Supporting Member

Postby relay_guy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:55 am

I second Gilberto's comment about "Perfection". I've seen this go on an old glass sail boat with fantastic results. The owner said he thinned it, and then just rolled it on thin. The bubbles dissipated and the surfaced looked as if it were sprayed.
relay_guy