window track replacement

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon May 18, 2015 6:50 pm

There seems to still be some confusion, at least I am confused.

Please specify what year and model GB you have and the frame material.

Perhaps if we all get on the same page we can resolve the questions. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby kainebob » Wed May 20, 2015 1:58 am

This gets better all the time. I have a 1990 GB 36 Classic with aluminum frames. I did receive a reply from Ken Loh of GB in Singapore: "Hi Bob. This window channel was made by Schlegel Technologies. However, they stopped producing this window channel 8-10 years ago because of poor demand. Ok, see attached. Here is my recommendation to you as a substitute. I recommend you model #1336-2061-1 or #1328-2061-2. Log on to www.schlegel.com to locate any representative that close to your area. Have a nice day ahead Bob.

I then called Schlegal (now called Amsbury Truth) and they said these are very old product numbers, and are made to order with a minimum of 1,000 feet. They referred me to someone in Los Angeles, 800-421-6144. I am working with them now and have also contacted a local antique auto supplier.
Bob: "...Nothing's free in Waterworld..."
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed May 20, 2015 8:40 am

Thank you for the clarification, Bob.

Information pertaining to your problem and solution would likely not apply to the woodies and other GBs with wood frames. For those frames, I suggest the StanPro version of their Y577 beaded flexible single window channel. That was likely the OEM version and if so, it would be a direct replacement.

You can see Y577 here http://www.cooperstandardperformance.co ... annels.pdf

Please post the solution you choose to resolve your situation, Bob. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Wed May 20, 2015 12:19 pm

Bob Lowe - the Y577 has a over all width of 5/8 in. - our channel is only 1/2 in. wide - to answer your earlier question of May 18, the 3 - 36 ft Classics that I know of have cast aluminum frames - all 1990's - Mark in Southern California, Bob in Buffalo and myself - I'm sure there are more -
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed May 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Bruce, I know the size. My referral to the Y577 was for wood frames, not aluminum.

There are folks reading and posting that are from both camps and I was simply trying to eliminate any confusion.

Beckson makes some plastic channels that may work in the aluminum frames. http://www.beckson.com/channel.html

One might also contact aluminum frame manufacturers or fabricators for a referral.

I really don't know of a direct replacement as shown above.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Thu May 21, 2015 6:13 am

I have watched this thread with interest, I posted some time ago re my window channels which I fitted many years ago. They were showing rust stains which made the window area look awful.

On removing the felt and metal window channel I discovered that the u shaped piece holding the felt wasn't stainless and therefor was rotting nicely in the damp felt.

I mad a decision that whatever I fitted would be rubber and felt and found this....

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1487-wi ... annel.aspx

After cleaning all the woodwork and soaking in thin epoxy I have fitted the channel shown, not only does it ease the sliding of the glass but it can be removed without having to dismantle the frame for any future maintenance.

Now I realise that this is a UK based company but there must be a USA based company that could supply for those that want an alternative to the metal and felt channel.

Just posting as an alternative.

Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby kainebob » Thu May 21, 2015 6:16 am

Going to England for a window track doesn't seem appealing. I've got a call into Beckson. A local supplier found a 1/2 " x 3/8 high piece, but we are not sure if it can handle the 1/4" laminate. Out of the three of us, someone has to find an answer.
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Thu May 21, 2015 11:27 am

There's always the alternative of postage. :twisted:

Tom.
GB32-390

"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Thu May 21, 2015 12:24 pm

Tom - or you can bring over a box or two on your next trip to the " colonies " -
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Postby RSat » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:52 am

Here's a fourth with aluminum window frames...hull 926 another 1990 classic. I've been reading this thread and eyeing my window tracks. I'm reluctant to get underway with replacement. I do have one that needs attention sooner than later...aft head window doesn't seem to drain at all and fills with gunk as well as water! There must be a drain hole in the track that's plugged...
Currently waiting on weather in Cape May, NJ...
RSat
Supporting Member

Postby kainebob » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:00 am

I am waiting for sample Beckson tracks now, but in the meantime, the track weep holes may be easy to get into; they go all the way through both tracks. Maybe a pipe cleaner. I have another source for aw 3/8 x 1/2, but it only comes in 100 foot rolls. My advice is to try to make the windows workable by using a steam cleaner or soapy water, but do not take them apart until we find the proper tracks.
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby kainebob » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Just got the Beckson replacement tracks and they are narrower; they require quite a bit of shims. They do run better. The shims are hard to replace; I'm using rubber cut outs. I ordered more because I may try to replace the bottom tracks in the other windows.
kainebob
Supporting Member

Re: window track replacement

Postby joster » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:23 am

I have a 1998 46 Heritage... The felt sides and plastic bottoms in the SS U-channels have all disintegrated, but the SS channels themselves are still in great shape.

Has anyone sourced new felts and plastic to put in existing SS channels, rather than trying to replace the whole assembly?

The SS U-Channels seems to be mitered at 45 degrees at all corners, so I'm at a loss as to how to dig them out, and replace them...

Any advice appreciated.
joster

Postby Joker » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:17 am

When I replaced the channels for the sliding windows last year, I decided to go for rubber.
They where supplied by Auto Fabrics, Inc.
ID: AS 1268
Length of channel: 96”

This is a perfect match for the aluminum frames.

Just remember to cut a length of about an inch from the bottom of the track, each end, to keep the drain holes open.

Regards
Magnar L
Joker
Supporting Member

Postby joster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Joker! Brilliant!

I'll be making a how-to video this weekend, but this is the perfect solution, which avoids major surgery, and provides an easy system for future replacement.

Here's what I did (on one window so far):

1) Ordered this product: https://www.jjautofabrics.com/as1268-all-ruber-window-channel-96/
You need about 2 of these for each big salon window, three more for the six forward small windows. So I needed 16 total.
Also got these, which help greatly lifting and moving the big windows around. Gotta have: https://www.amazon.com/Qadira-Premium-Quality-Aluminum-Professional/dp/B01G5K7XL2/

2) Removed the screen and tracks

3) Removed the plastic runners inside the channels. I discovered a very efficient way to get them started lifting, by using a drill/bit to start them coming up, then peeled them out.

4) Coated the remaining felt with Goo Gone, or 3M General Purpose Adhesive cleaner, then cleaned up the old tracks. The stuff in the channels where the windows overlap is a bit difficult. I used a plexiglas cutter to tease it out, and a hacksaw blade. Works ok with patience and Bourbon.
Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Plaskolite-Plastic-Cutter/dp/B017299IC2

5) Soaked the new weatherstrip in soapy water.
6) Using the suction-cup, lifted the glass to slide the new bottom strip into place. Not too bad at all.
7) I ran it the full length, then used a HOT soldering iron to open the drain holes on each end/bottom. This left weather strip on the sides all the way, rather than ending short on each end.

8) I then fed in the TOP weatherstrip. This was a little more challenging, until I made a pull-string as follows:
- I put a big tie-wrap through the bottom of the weatherstrip, about an inch from the end, made a loop.
- Then I put a foot of wire onto the tie-wrap, to help feed it into the track and past the fixed-window to start
- Working a couple inches at a time, I fed, slid back, fed, slid back, ended up to be pretty easy.

9) Then the side strips go in simply. Done!

I still have a few windows that should come out and get replaced, but since I can't figure out how to get them out without removing trim, etc., I'm avoiding the whole thing for a few more years.
joster