I'll be making a how-to video this weekend, but this is the perfect solution, which avoids major surgery, and provides an easy system for future replacement.
Here's what I did (on one window so far):
1) Ordered this product: https://www.jjautofabrics.com/as1268-all-ruber-window-channel-96/
You need about 2 of these for each big salon window, three more for the six forward small windows. So I needed 16 total.
Also got these, which help greatly lifting and moving the big windows around. Gotta have: https://www.amazon.com/Qadira-Premium-Quality-Aluminum-Professional/dp/B01G5K7XL2/
2) Removed the screen and tracks
3) Removed the plastic runners inside the channels. I discovered a very efficient way to get them started lifting, by using a drill/bit to start them coming up, then peeled them out.
4) Coated the remaining felt with Goo Gone, or 3M General Purpose Adhesive cleaner, then cleaned up the old tracks. The stuff in the channels where the windows overlap is a bit difficult. I used a plexiglas cutter to tease it out, and a hacksaw blade. Works ok with patience and Bourbon.
Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Plaskolite-Plastic-Cutter/dp/B017299IC2
5) Soaked the new weatherstrip in soapy water.
6) Using the suction-cup, lifted the glass to slide the new bottom strip into place. Not too bad at all.
7) I ran it the full length, then used a HOT soldering iron to open the drain holes on each end/bottom. This left weather strip on the sides all the way, rather than ending short on each end.
I then fed in the TOP weatherstrip. This was a little more challenging, until I made a pull-string as follows:
- I put a big tie-wrap through the bottom of the weatherstrip, about an inch from the end, made a loop.
- Then I put a foot of wire onto the tie-wrap, to help feed it into the track and past the fixed-window to start
- Working a couple inches at a time, I fed, slid back, fed, slid back, ended up to be pretty easy.
9) Then the side strips go in simply. Done!
I still have a few windows that should come out and get replaced, but since I can't figure out how to get them out without removing trim, etc., I'm avoiding the whole thing for a few more years.