window track replacement

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

window track replacement

Postby kainebob » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Our 1990 boat has aluminum frames that cannot be removed on the front, fixed windows, so it will require a different repair than some of the descriptions I found on your website. So, I also have to pay attention to all of the sliding windows on our boat (except for the heads) that cannot be slid open. I keep on finding answers for removing the frames from the outside, then rebedding and replacing tracks, but it is always done from the outside. Am I right in thinking there is another way?:?
I've tried writing emails to Grandbanks.com, but never get replies.
Bob: "...Nothing's free in Waterworld..."
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:41 am

Bob - you first have to remove the old track - slide the window to the open position - with a screw driver, start peeling the old track out - as you are peeling the track out, try closing the window as this might help free the track up - once the old track is removed, you will find thin plastic strip spacers under the tracks - they measure about 1/4 " wide x perhaps 1/16 " thick and run the full length of the track on the top, bottom & sides - the sliding glass window should be able to be removed from the inside now - you might now consider cleaning up the track - replacement track is available at C R Lawarance Co. - 800 - 421 - 6144 - go to their web site - be careful - many very similar sizes of track - make sure you get the track with the stainless steel in the track - go in reverse to put the windows in - window in, track in, plastic back in - hope this helps and I didn't miss any steps - if it helps , call me - 828 - 369 - 9405 - Bruce
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 am

Bob - if the windows are stuck in the closed position, they will require a bit of work - try using bar soap on the track and just start trying to move the window open - the least bit of any movement will help free the window up from the track - I'm sure the guys on the forum might have a better solution but the soap worked for me - they can be a bear if the boat has not been used in a while - they might require a fair amount of force to open -
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:57 am

Soapy water and a thin blade like a thin putty knife works well.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

I feel better

Postby kainebob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Progress! I managed to pull out the track; first cutting between the window and the track with a Stanley carpet cutting razor tool, then spraying it with a mild soap and water solution. I used a 3/8" sharp chisel to clean out the track and it picked it up because it was disintegrating. The window is removed and I can see how I can clean the aluminum track out. Two questions to help me proceed:

1) In two of the five windows I will be repairing the fixed glass is badly fogged; I may as well replace them. There seems to be a white cap on the other side of the track, will they pop up with a screw driver to allow me to remove this glass also?

2) Bob suggested using sikaflex for the bottom bedding and dolphonite for the sides. When I pulled out the track, there was a hard piece of plastic on the bottom, which cracked into a million pieces when I pulled it out. Do I replace that hard piece? Does the dolphonite go between the track and the plastic? Under the plastic?

Thanks for the advice; I feel confident! :D
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:35 pm

That suggestion using Dolphinite was for bedding wood frames to the house.

What exactly are you trying to do that needs bedding and/or sealing?
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby kainebob » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 am

I was trying to bed the replacement tracks, but now that I look at it, If I do seal the bottom of the aluminum track I will be sealing the weeping or drain holes at the bottom of the aluminum frame. I guess I should just be replacing the plastic shims and tracks? If the sides and the tops look okay, should I replace them also? Anyone know how if I should be snapping off the cap to the sides of the fixed window portions?
kainebob
Supporting Member

window track replacement

Postby kainebob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:39 pm

I am making progress! I managed to remove the felt tracks and the windows in the aluminum frames according to the instructions. The hard part is the fixed window; I would not remove it unless it is damaged. In my case the fixed laminated 1/4" glass was hard to remove because it is siliconed on the top and side, then supported in place by pressing it into the silicone and putting plastic shims underneath. After two hours, I realized that trying to cut the window out was impossible; I smashed it out, then cleaned the gutters.

Removing all the sliding tracks is becoming fairly easy: I tried numerous approaches, but the one that worked best within 1/2 minute was using a micro steam cleaner (steam storm 3000) that just made it easy. When I removed everything, the steam cleaner allowed me to steam clean all the aluminum tracks and get them ready for sanding, acid-wash and painting. I have a glass guy to reproduce the glass and tracks, tomorrow I look for the acid and paint.

Once you see the aluminum frame, you will agree that this engineer worked hard to solve a problem. There should be no problem with wood rotting or seeping inside if the large weeping holes are kept clear.

Stay tuned; hopefully someone else will learn from my trials: I am sixty-seven and this is the first time in twenty-five years these windows are being repaired. What are the odds of me having to do this again?

Smooth Waters,

B :shock: :shock:
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby bourgeau@telus.net » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 am

Hi Bob,
Hope you are surviving that monster snow storm!

To remove the fixed pane gently pry the aluminum cap from the channel. Heat the edges of the fixed pane with a hair dryer to soften the silicone. Use a thin Exacto blade to cut the silicone between the glass and track while pushing against the pane. It should start to release and come away in one piece. Use the old pane as your template for the new glass.

Make sure you purchase the correct size track felt to match the thickness of the track. Make sure the wire in the felt material is marine grade stainless, and sized to match the thickness of the new glass. If it is too loose you will get water intrusion in rough seas and your windows will slide open. I was able to just replace the bottom felt, removed and washed the sides and tops.

Have fun painting those frames!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bourgeau@telus.net
Supporting Member

Postby kainebob » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:15 pm

Thank you for the pictures. I was able to pull out the starboard side cabin windows and tracks; I had three replacement windows made, but I chose tempered glass instead of laminate. The hard part is finding the track, but I think I found a supplier finally and they are sending me a one inch sample of the 1/2 by 1/2 stainless track that is needed. I'll be back in Buffalo in three weeks and hopefully, I can finish the job.
kainebob
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:20 pm

There is a reason for using laminated. The tempered leaves a very large hole when it breaks.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Bob - where were you able to get your s/s - 1/2 " x 1/2 " track ? The track I used last year in not s/s and needs to be replaced - thanks
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

The ss sliding window channel is made by StanPro. I bought from Fisheries Supply. It seems they have reduced the number of StanPro items they carry and I don't see the flexible channel like I used to buy there. That was the OEM style with the bead.

Defender carries it and they are closer to you and if you contact StanPro, you may find someone even closer.

The beaded SS channel can be seen at http://www.cooperstandardperformance.co ... annels.pdf

StanPro parent company site at http://www.cooperstandardperformance.com/
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Marino » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am

Bob - thanks much - hope you're only in your late 20's as we need you to be around for a long time to help us all out from time to time - thanks again
Bruce Marino
Supporting Member

Postby Tom H » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:07 am

Best regards
Tom Hansen
1976 42' GBC #482
"Schatzi"
Tom H
Supporting Member