REMOVING/REPAIRING WHEEL

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

REMOVING/REPAIRING WHEEL

Postby CBLEE » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 am

The wheel @ the FB helm is getting a little loose-- waggles fore and aft at the hub only. I have removed the nut and washer... But the wheel will not come off the spindles by hand---does this require a gear puller??
Also---the wheel from it's perimeter, thru the spokes to the hub is nice and tight.
It is only at the hub that the wheel is loose. Does anyone have experience, knowledge on remediating a wobbly wheel?
Thanks, in advance for taking the time to reply.
CBLEE
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 am

You say the wheel/hub won't come off the shaft, but that it moves fore and aft at the hub.

Do you mean that the shaft moves fore and aft along with the hub frozen on it?

If it is the shaft moving back and forth and the hub is frozen on the shaft, I have had repeated success in loosening the hub on the shaft by pulling the hub/shaft assembly aft, put the nut on the shaft and tapping the shaft nut with a large hammer (I always have a 32 oz hammer in my tool box). A dead blow hammer will work as well.

If the problem is different than I stated above, please let us know. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby CBLEE » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm

The shaft is not moving. The wheel itself needs work. When you grab the wheel and pull the wheel toward you or Push on wheel away the wheel itself moves and squeaks. The the metal hub and the spandrel are not moving at all.
I can tell that the flex us all in where the wheel meets the metal hub. The other segments of the wheel are not parting aaybfom each other-- the spokes seem to be stable. The wheel seems to be loose ONLY where the wood spokes attach to the metal hub at the center of the wheel.
I am just wondering
If I take the wheel off the spline, will I be able to tighten the wheel hub to the wheel spokes with a 90-degree screwdriver-- or is there a long bolt that runs up the length of each wooden spoke of the wheel--- or is there something I can tighten at the circumference of the wheel-- there are bungs around the circumference of the wheel that correspond to each spoke of the wheel.
Gotta be something to cinch up.
CBLEE
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 pm

You might still try the hammer on the shaft nut while holding the hub firmly aft. Might take 2 people. It only takes a little bit to loosen the hub on the shaft. WD40 might help. It's usually just a mild corrosion/dirt/time issue.

The wood spokes are held firmly inside the hub with small teak wedges. Resetting them is easy although it may be a bit tedious. You should have no trouble tightening things up after you remove the hub cover.

Let us know how you do. :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby CBLEE » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Great. Many thanks for the advice and help. Always on a learning curve.[/b]
CBLEE
Supporting Member

Postby grich737 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm

I rebuilt a 56 Johnson and had a few nuts a bolts that would not budge. I used a product call CRC freeze off and every time the nut or bolt would work right off after just a few minutes just a thought Geg
grich737
Supporting Member

Postby CBLEE » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks for the lead on that. I will look for it.
CBLEE
Supporting Member

Postby Sleepah » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:08 pm

My wheel hub was hard to remove and after liberal doses of PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst and a gear puller I was able to free it. I tightened the puller and left it on. It popped off in the middle of the night. So put some blankets under it to catch it. Or tie it on loosely.
Howard Means
'73 GB 42 CL #362
"SPARTINA"
Punta Gorda, Florida
Sleepah
Supporting Member