What was this light for?

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

What was this light for?

Postby Bruce Decker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Any one have an idea what the tiny lamp in the center of the instrument console is for? It has one black wire coming from it that is no longer connected to anything. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce Decker
Supporting Member

Postby Tom Overs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:09 am

Bruce

I would think it has been a warning light for either oil pressure or alternator, I don't think it will have been an original fixture.

Tom
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby roger and anne howell » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 am

Hi,
If you have an halon fire extinguisher system, this looks like the discharge light. By the way, your boat is upside down!
Roger
roger and anne howell

Postby gsanchez » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 am

There is a somewhat larger light in that position in our boat that was a bilge pump alarm. When the pump went on automatically because of water in the bilge, the light would turn on. At other times pressing and holding it down would engage the pump in its manual mode.
Gilberto
1973 GB50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsanchez
Supporting Member

Postby captain Joe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Just curious -- What is the "Drive Gear Alarm" on your console?
Thanks,

Joe Berini
Piermont, NY
captain Joe
Supporting Member

Postby Bruce Decker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 pm

You know Roger, I always wondered why we were always so wet whenever we were on the boat. Thanks for clearing that up. :oops:

We do indeed have a halon system so this makes sense. Not sure how it was hooked up or if it ever was.

BTW on a completely side topic, my understanding about using "a" or "an" before a word starting with the letter "h" (or any word that starts with a vowel sound) is not based on the letter itself but on the pronunciation of the word. Here is an explanation I found online (and since it is online it must be true LOL) - "People seem to ask most often about words that start with the letters h and u because sometimes these words start with vowel sounds and sometimes they start with consonant sounds. For example, it is a historic monument because historic starts with an h sound, but it is an honorable fellow because honorable starts with an o sound. Similarly, it is a Utopian idea, but an unfair world."

Of course I always thought halon starts with an "h" sound; perchance it is pronounced "A-lon"? Wow - and the letter "h" actually starts with an "a" sound. English really is messed up, isn't it? :?
Bruce Decker
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:19 pm

The halon systems I have installed have all had green indicator lights and are on when charged and ready.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby gsanchez » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:02 am

captain Joe wrote:Just curious -- What is the "Drive Gear Alarm" on your console?

They are temperature alarms for the Velvet Drive transmissions. I understand they were available as an option.
Gilberto
1973 GB50
gsanchez
Supporting Member

Postby Movin' On » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:47 am

I thought the drive gear alarms were for low hydraulic oil pressure
Howard Schutter
Movin' On
Supporting Member

Postby gsanchez » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Movin' On wrote:I thought the drive gear alarms were for low hydraulic oil pressure

So did I until I saw this in the manual:

Elsewhere I read that low pressure will lead to high temperature so the alarm catches both issues (hopefully before it is too late!).

It looks like a single light can monitor two transmissions so this could be another possible explanation to Bruce's original question even though he has a single light but twin engines.
Gilberto
1973 GB50
Last edited by gsanchez on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsanchez
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Low hydraulic pressure in the transmission can lead to the clutch plates slipping creating friction and overheating of the fluid.

If there is a question of whether it is for temperature or pressure, check the sensor.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Movin' On » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:11 pm

I'll check. The reason I thought they were pressure switches is that the lights are on when you start the engines and then flicker and go out several seconds later. I don't know how temperature alarms would do this as there is no test circuit wired into them.
Howard Schutter
Movin' On
Supporting Member

Postby Bob Lowe » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:43 pm

It could be that the input is from the general alarm circuit which may be powered through the oil pressure sensor. This would be no power until the oil pressure comes up. You can easily test this with your ignition switch/breaker and watching oil pressure or listening to the alarm and watching the indicator light.
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member