Stain removal from Teak deck

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Stain removal from Teak deck

Postby George Southern » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Hope somebody has a great answer, yesterday afternoon, some Geese decided to have a party on my back deck, rather a Pooping Party!
So this morning I find 5 large piles, scrape them up, soak up what I can with paper towels, Ugh, then hit them with Simple Green. And of course there is still green/black stains. My next solution is to wash all the decks down with Joy, then do an Oxcylic acid treatment to get them back to the color I like.(decks are dirty, and need a good cleaning)
Think this will work on the stains? ANY input greatly appreciated.
George Southern

Re: Stain removal from Teak deck

Postby Orangevale45 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:32 pm

I like gray! I once dropped some oil on my deck. About two months later the stain was gone.
Orangevale45

Postby Chesapeake » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Fast Orange hand cleaner (no petroleum) and a fingernail brush works for barn swallow poop. Don't know about geese. You'll probably want a new brush...
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231

Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Chesapeake
Supporting Member

Postby FrugalWife » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 am

I have a typical older GB ... gray decks, protruding seam sealer, popping bungs, etc. My advice is to only clean it gently and leave the rest to Mother Nature.

1st story. 5-6 years ago I was knocked down by an unexpected wave offshore while hauling an anchor and hit my head very hard on, I think, the forward cabin hatch. The gash on my head was significant and while I was out cold for a minute or two blood pooled nicely on the forward deck (TMI?). The stain was not able to be cleaned off with anything I'd use on the old decks so I left it. The sun, rain, and salt spray slowly faded it away so that two years later it was effectively gone. I don't have any pics or I'd share them.

2nd story. In 2017 we left our boat on a mooring for a few days while we went home to mow the lawn, pay a few bills, etc. When we returned & went out to the boat we found that an osprey or two had tried to build a nest on top of the radar antenna. Needless to say, there was one giant mess on board including massive amounts of bird turd on the flybridge cover, the flybridge deck, the nicely varnished hand rails, and several large sticks & twigs spread around the flybridge, the bridge steps and both side decks. I moved the boat into a slip and attempted a clean up but of course the turds did not come very clean. Me not being very fastidious and with the weather not cooperating for a pleasant cleaning experience I decided to once again leave Mother Nature to take care of the remnants of the problem. This took only a couple months for all the stains to disappear.

There just my ten cents on this subject.
FrugalWife

Postby George Southern » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:27 am

Thanx for the responses, But our boat has always been under cover, and never in salt water,so the decks are the the natural Teak (sorta' brown)color. I like the look along with the varnished stuff, so want to keep the decks the natural color, hence the request on how to get the black/green stains out....guess I'll try the Oxcylic acid trick...
George Southern

Postby Cruising » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:56 pm

Please be very very careful with Oxcylic Acid. Very diluted solution. When ever concentration your comfortable with....... cut it in half. It may not remove the stain to your liking but go strong at the stain to your peril.
Besides raising the grain (removing teak wood pulp) the acid will damage the bond between the wood and caulking. It might only be microscopic to start but sure as God made green apples, there will be openings for dirt to enter a weakened boat.

I would suggest Cascade dish washing detergent. Lightly brush against the grain.
Also, if you’re not in salt water you can still “salt” the decks with Coarse sea salt and wet the deck. The salt is a natural cleaner and keeps the grain tight.
Cruising