Engine Room Exhaust Fan

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Engine Room Exhaust Fan

Postby Grinnin Barrett » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I have a 1982 32' Classic. Over the Summer I noticed that my engine room exhaust fan was tripping out on long runs. I figured at 35+ years it was justified in being worn out. The model number is Jabsco/PAR 35400-0000. It is still available. But I read in one comment that this is NOT a continuous blowing fan and that it would cycle on and off. The fan is controlled by a switch on my DC panel. This switch is what is tripping. It went on to say a 35760-0092 should be used.

Is this the correct replacement or should I use the non-OEM model?

Thank you,

Doug Barrett
Grinnin Barrett
Supporting Member

Re: Engine Room Exhaust Fan

Postby Bob Lowe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 pm

It's not necessary or even advisable to run the engine room blowers when running. The engine(s) do a great job of changing the air which is why it isn't hotter down there.

The purpose of the engine room blowers is to help cool the E.R. off when not running.

Either blower will work fine although a continuous duty rating should last longer.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Grinnin Barrett » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am

Thank you VERY much Bob. Much appreciated. But, to be sure I understand, the non-OEM installed 35760-0092 is the better option?
Grinnin Barrett
Supporting Member

Postby Jastafford » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Hey Bob
While we have your attention. I'm new to GB, this year will be my first time getting my project boat in the water. The PO made a comment about the engine room getting hot. With that little amount of information can you direct me on what to look out for and or expect?

Bob Lowe wrote:
> It's not necessary or even advisable to run the engine room blowers when
> running. The engine(s) do a great job of changing the air which is why it
> isn't hotter down there.
>
> The purpose of the engine room blowers is to help cool the E.R. off when
> not running.
>
> Either blower will work fine although a continuous duty rating should last
> longer.
Jastafford

Postby Bob Lowe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm

G.B. The OEM version typically lasts 30 - 40 years, m/l so I have always installed the direct replacement version unless otherwise directed by an owner. A continuous duty rated unit will typically last longer. I don't know the specs on the 35760-0092.

J. How hot is hot? What is the ambient air temperature? What engine(s)?
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Charlie0 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:02 am

“ How hot is hot? What is the ambient air temperature? What engine(s)?”

That was my question. Might want to put a remote thermometer down there and get a reading. Of course the next question will be what is acceptable?
Charlie O
Grand Banks 36
Hull 715
Charlie0

Postby Jastafford » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:11 pm

I have a 1972 42 classic with twin 120 Lehmans, hull 259. Bob, this comment "The engine(s) do a great job of changing the air which is why it isn't hotter down there." is what got my attention. Between the PO comment and your comment I wonder if I have a problem that will need to be addressed. In a perfect world the engine room would be very close to ambient? That just seems unrealistic to my mind.
In my case maybe I should expect 20 degree hotter than ambient given my old girls and plumbing? If it is hotter I should look first at what? That is the type of info I was after. What to expect, when to react and what to look for?
Jastafford

Postby Bob Lowe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Open the main saloon floor hatch a crack and hold a lighted cigarette, cigar, stick match, lighter or ??? next to it and watch the smoke or flame to get an idea of just how restricted fresh air flow is to your engine room. Take a look at the openings under the vent cowlings to see how small or large they are.

On Dreamer, a 45' Alaskan, I installed a large engine room vent on each side deck. It made a big difference.

Air change is the only way to keep the E R as cool as possible without A/C, imho.

But I installed the added vents to provide sufficient fresh air to the diesels. They loved it! :)
Good luck,

Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby Grinnin Barrett » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks Bob. I'll go with the OEM 35400-000. The boat probably has 30-40 years in it but I for sure don't!

Much appreciated!
Grinnin Barrett
Supporting Member