STEADYING SAIL HARDWARE

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Postby JON LAING » Thu Dec 23, 1999 9:33 am

WHO MAKES ROLLER FURLING HARDWARE FOR THIS<BR>APPLICATION? I TRIED HARKEN BUT THEY WEREN'T<BR>MUCH HELP. REGARDS: JON LAING<P>------------------<BR>JON LAING
JON LAING

Postby Bob Lowe » Thu Dec 23, 1999 2:15 pm

Jon,<BR>We may have a good used steadying sail with roller furling off a GB 36<BR>and/or 32 if you are interested.<P>Let me know<P>Good luck, Bob Lowe<BR>
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby pim kraan » Sun Dec 26, 1999 6:41 pm

As we are at it, I am looking for all info on steadying sail for my GB 32. Hardware, size, dail itself, a drawing or anything wqould be welcome!
pim kraan

Postby Jon & Mary Magill » Sat Jan 08, 2000 5:28 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a steadying sail and when/how is it used?<P>Thanks,<P>--Jon<BR><P>------------------<BR>Jon -- "Canemah"<BR>GB36E #1016
Jon & Mary Magill

Re: STEADYING SAIL SIZE

Postby ramkay007 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello everyone. Trying to get some info about size and installation of a steadying sail on GB32, 1978 I'm buying in France. Can anyone help? Drawings, sketches, hardware listing and recommandations would be appreciated. Thanks. Ramkay
ramkay007

Re: STEADYING SAIL HARDWARE

Postby denogail » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am

Just my two cents worth...(again)...I personally feel, and have tried using the steadying sail on my GB42 on several occasions, that it is a waste of time. Meaning, by the time you sheet it in midships, tight....with 20 to 25 knots blowing abeam, you will still get a quick roll down wind, and a slightly noticeable stablize as the boat rolls back into the beam wind. But, the problem is the wave height with that much wind blowing...you are still going to roll your guts out...one is much better off picking a good weather window to make a crossing, and not go out in 20 to 25 knots of beam wind. And less then 20 knots, the sail is pretty much useless...even at anchor, it will not point you into the wind, with a beam current running.

I removed mine the first year of ownership, 11 years ago, and have never put it back up. Having sailed for 22 years in the Carribean on a REAL sailboat, soon realized that the GB42 is to heavy, and the sail is much to small...to do any real good.

DenO
denogail