Impellers

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

Impellers

Postby Berger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am

I'm about to order some spare impellers for my Jabsco raw water pump and was wondering if there is a alternative to the weak Jabsco impeller. I would think that someone could come out with a better rubber like material for these pumps. I have a spare pump that had a new impeller installed and never used, I opened it up to check it and one of the fins was already broken from sitting.
Berger
Supporting Member

Re: Impellers

Postby GB42-267 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 am

Jabsco P/N 1210-0001-P Impeller, standard Neoprene and P/N 1210-0003-P Impeller, optional Nitrile, oil resistant. These are the two choices and I've used them both for years and can't say I've noticed any difference from one or the other. It really doesn't matter which one you pick since we're pumping water and not oil, the cost is the same if I remember correctly.
Bjorn M
GB42-267
Supporting Member

Postby Berger » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 am

Yes Im familiar with the 1210-0001 and 0003 but want to find something more durable.
Berger
Supporting Member

Postby denogail » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Berger...just a quick question...is the impeller that is eating itself up, on the engine that you are having heating issues with? If so, maybe you do have some sort of blockage in the raw water circuit...?

I usually get at least 300 hours on an impeller. BTW, to leave an impeller in the pump, while the boat is in storage for several months, is hard on the vains of the impeller. I remove my impellers, when I store the boat for the summer months in Lauderdale.
denogail

Postby Berger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Not sure if its eaten until I take it apart but guessing it may be the reason for the low flow out of the exhaust. The impeller has less then 30 hours on it.
Berger
Supporting Member

Postby denogail » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:38 am

Just as important as the impeller, is the "cam" that squashes each blade as it turns to force the water out and draw in water as the blade relaxes on the intake port. With a flash light look at the cam..it is held in place by one large screw on the top of the pump. It has 3 fingers, pointed in opposite directions, sort of like two "E's"..back to back. Over time and electrolosis the middle finger will eat away, causing a very rough edge or short middle finger, and this will eat the impeller.

DenO
denogail

Postby Bob Lowe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 am

Don't forget to check to make sure the impeller hub is not spinning in the impeller.
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member