FL-120 - Keep running after STOP button pressed

For Grand Banks, Alaskans, East Bay & Aleutian Yachts

FL-120 - Keep running after STOP button pressed

Postby Roger Allen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 am

I started my 1972 Ford Lehman (Simms fuel pump) today after the winter layup. As usual it started in seconds and ran with no problems at the dock.
After 30 minutes I pushed the stop button and nothing happened, the engine just kept running at idle.
I checked the stop solenoid and it was operating with each push of the stop button and I even pushed the solenoid in by hand and the engine still kept running at idle.
I closed the fuel shut off valves at my primary fuel filters and after a few minutes the engine stopped.
I started the engine again and still had the same problem.
Does anybody have any ideas? your advice would be most welcome.
Thank you
Roger
Roger Allen

Re: FL-120 - Keep running after STOP button pressed

Postby Bob Lowe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:27 am

I would check all connections at and after the solenoid. Be sure to bleed the fuel system before you take it out. :)
Good luck,
Bob Lowe
Bob Lowe
Supporting Member

Postby sailsaway » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Is the fuel shut-off arm on the pump that the solenoid is connected to slipping on its shaft?
J. R. Good
"Chesapeake"
GB36-231
sailsaway
Supporting Member

Postby Roger Allen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:44 am

I inspected all the external components of the solenoid, including trying to tighten the bolt holding the arm on the shaft. That connection is tight. I also removed the the oil fill plug on top of the pump, but could not see any movement inside but don't know what I'm looking for. If I remove the side cover plate on the pump will that be able to tell me anything?
Thanks
Roger
Roger Allen

Postby Tom Overs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:24 pm

What's the engine hours.
Is it possible that the engine is running on due to oil passing the piston rings.

Just a thought ?
Tom.
GB32-390
"Little Ship"

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
Tom Overs
Supporting Member

Postby Roger Allen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:50 pm

It has 8000 plus hours but runs great. It will shut down if I turn off fuel valves. Since it was not used in 6 months prior,I'm wondering what might be stuck. I've never worked on injector pumps before other than change the oil so am reluctant to start taking things apart without some direction. No mechanics on the Island where I live.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger Allen

Postby J.J.Jones » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 pm

Roger,
Take the side cover off the injector pump, I would first order a gasket from Brian at American Diesel but the gaskets is pretty hardy so you might be able to reuse the existing gasket.
Activate the stop solenoid and watch the internal mechanism move aft to stop the fuel. If the injector pump has not been serviced properly it is possible for the stop mechanism to freeze.
When I purchased my boat 18 years ago, I had the same issue. The injector pump oil had not been serviced, the reservoir was empty and all the moving parts were frozen. I was able to free them up and the pump and stop solenoid have worked fine since.
J.J.J.
J.J.Jones
Supporting Member

Postby Roger Allen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 pm

J.J.J.,
I followed your advice today and removed the side cover from the injector pump. The rack inside was free to move right or left without feeling sticky in any way. When the stop solenoid was activated the rack only moved aft about a 1/8th of an inch. To get more travel I removed the stop lever from its splined shaft and added a few degrees of rotation on the shaft.
I seemed to be on the right path even though the activated solenoid could not quite stop the engine, but if I gave it a little extra push by hand it would stop the engine. I probably need to add a bit more rotation on the shaft to get the rack to move aft more. So my question now is how much should the rack move aft to initiate shut down?
I have no idea as to why this problem occurred, nothing in the linkage was loose or seemed out of adjustment.
Roger
Roger Allen

Postby J.J.Jones » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Roger,
If I remember correctly, it was some time ago, The rack moves a considerable amount in order to stop the engine.
I disconnected the linkage and moved the lever by hand until the engine stopped, when I saw how much travel was required I was able to reattach the linkage and make it work. Please remember mine was frozen, so I had to introduce significant lubrication to get it moving at all.
The linkage adjustment was a trial and error after I diagnosed the problem.
Glad I could help you figure this out.
J.J.J.
J.J.Jones
Supporting Member

Postby denogail » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Interesting thread, but my question is...what changed? Your stop "button" used to stop the engine, but it does not now stop it. Just a thought, but get a helper, and put a voltmeter on the terminals for the stop solonoid. On my 135's there is a relay mounted right there, which provides a full battery voltage to the solonoid from the main battery terminal on the starter. It takes less voltage/current through the long wires from the stop button using this "pony" relay. Much like your starter solonoid mounted on your starter. My starboard engine did what you are discribbing, and I noticed that there was not enough current to pull the solonoid all the way in for a full stop. The relay was bad...the relay is the little black, square thing, with 4 wires on it.

Again, just my two cents worth...DenO
denogail

Postby Roger Allen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm

DenO,
The solenoid itself is working as it's supposed to, as far as moving the arm on the side of the injector pump and even pushing the solenoid all the way forward by hand did not initiate shutdown.

J.J.J.
I'm assuming you did not have the side cover off when making adjustments, am I right in that you were only looking at the position of the arm to indicate shutdown position.

Roger
Roger Allen

Postby Roger Allen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:57 am

After much frustrating trial and error trying to find the right balance between arm position, and a freely operating solenoid movment, I finally resorted to drilling new holes for the solenoid mounting bracket.
I have no idea why the linkage would become out of adjustment over the winter but for now I'm just happy to having the engine shutdown when I push the shutdown buttons.
Thanks to all,
Roger
Roger Allen