FAQ Help Forum Index
FAQ Help
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

Cable Steering Sheaves Replacement

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FAQ Help Forum Index -> Cable Steering Systems

Tagish
Tagish
Seattle, WA
1973 GB 36-391 (GRP)

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Cable Steering Sheaves replacement on 36CL Reply with quote

While working on repairing my leaking potable water tanks (I had to remove both of them), I have found a set of cable steering sheaves that hide behind the starboard potable water tank. During haul out last summer just after I purchased the boat, I made a point of servicing the cable steering system based upon recommendations by folks on this forum.

For the most part, everything looked good and I thought I had found all the sheaves and performed appropriate maintenance on them, and moved onto the next project of the 17 that the surveyor wanted fixed.

Apparently I missed this one and so did the last two POs. I am grateful that I caught this before a catastrophic steering failure occurred. It is a real bugger to get all the way back in there to see them, but the effort clearly needs to be made to ensure they are in proper working order.

I’ve checked previous posts and found information regarding obtaining new sheaves, but as the photos indicate, I need an entire new setup.

Does anyone have suggestions of where I can get a new one or have a new one made?

Rough dimensions are:
Sheaves: 1.75” dia x .625” thick,
Shaft: .375” dia x 3.625” long
Bracket: 6.5” long, 1.5” wide, .25” thick material ( the “t” portion is 1.5” high)

Barry L
Grand Travail
Baton Rouge La.
1971 36' Classic #198

baton rouge la

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are not something you will easily find for sale. Any good machine shop should be able to whip them out for you. I had a the same problem and I found that the frozen sheeves burred up my SS cables. So one more item on the list!
1970 Grand Banks 36' Classic #198
"Grand Travail"
Mike Smith
Otter
Bokeelia, FL
1977 - GB 32 #581

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Edson Marine - they make all sorts of sheaves for cable steering systems - they've probably got what you need in stock
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974

Mexico

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike suggested, Edson will have sheaves in brass that will work fine, we have them on Dreamer and I have used them on other boats.

You can have the bracket sand blasted and re-galvanized and it should work fine. Chip off all the rust scale first before sending it in. Of course, in the alternative, you can make new brackets of SS or bronze to avoid future rust problems.

Movin' On
Movin' On
Dana Point CA

San Juan Capistrano CA USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Banks Parts has the sheaves. I went though this replacement on my GB36-569. The problem is that Grand Banks used sheaves with different sized shafts. The ones GB Parts sent me had a hole that was too big. I found a properly sized self lubricating bushing that matches the sheaves to my shafts and sent GB Parts the info. They should now have both the sheaves and the bushings in stock, so measure your shafts before ordering to see if you need the bushings also.
Tagish
Tagish
Seattle, WA
1973 GB 36-391 (GRP)

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all that provided input on replacing the sheaves for our steering system.

I was able to have a new set made by Ed from Zephyrwerks (http://www.zephyrwerks.com/). He was able to fabricate a new bracket out of stainless and custom make the sheaves with bearing inserts; all in about a week turn around time. I thought the price was reasonable for a custom fabrication.

I highly recommend Ed and his services; very prompt, easy to work with, and delivered a quality product.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FAQ Help Forum Index -> Cable Steering Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: